Last update: September 10, 2020, 11 a.m.
MASKS, SOCIAL DISTANCE, AND HYGIENE
- Keep your mask on. Exception: Mask can be removed if you are the only person in a study room and the door is closed.
- Clean & sanitize tables and equipment (e.g., computers, markers, staplers) before and after use. Cleaning supplies are available throughout the library.
- Maintain social distance. Seats must remain at least 6 feet apart.
- Do not move furniture. The tables are arranged to allow social distance and easy pathways.
EATING AND DRINKING IN THE LIBRARY
- Drinks and light snacks are allowed. Meals are not. You may shift, but not remove, your mask.
- A designated dining area is available on the first floor of Harden Hall. For on-campus indoor public space, persons may remove a mask to eat or drink ONLY at areas specifically designated for seated dining. Designated seated dining areas will have signs and will be limited to one hour of use.
- Keep your mask on. Exception: Mask can be removed if there is only one person in the room and the door is closed.
- Clean & sanitize anything you touch before and after use.
- Drinks and light snacks are allowed in study rooms. Meals are not.
- Maintain social distance in study rooms. Chairs must be at least 6 feet apart.
- Room capacity is limited in each room. The limit is posted on study room doors and inside each room.
- Reservations are required during library service hours. Reserve online at lib.nmu.edu/rooms.
- Study rooms are available on a first-come basis during the 24/7 study hours.
24/7 STUDY SPACE
- Harden Hall, including Olson Library, is open 24/7 during the Fall 2020 semester. Library services will be:
Monday-Thursday 7:30 am - 11:00 pm
Friday 7:30 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday noon - 7:00 pm
Sunday noon - midnight
- The library will be open after hours for studying, with security provided by the NMU Police Department. See https://lib.nmu.edu/about/hours/ to see which services are available during the 24/7 study hours.
CONTACT A LIBRARIAN
- Librarians are available to help you Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm via phone, email or chat. Research help is also available in person Monday-Thursday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm and by appointment.
- You can also arrange an online meeting with a Librarian for help finding information, citing sources, and more. Visit the Departmental Liaison page to find a librarian with expertise in your subject area and to schedule an appointment.
- Physical items are loaned during library service hours.
- Electronic items may be accessed using OneSearch.
- MeLCat and interlibrary loan are available.
- Items can be returned to the library 24/7.
- If you have graduated or your faculty/staff position with NMU has ended, please return your library materials as soon as possible.
DIGITAL MEDIA TUTORING CENTER AND VIRTUAL REALITY
- The Digital Media Tutoring Center is open during the Fall 2020 semester. Tutors use a second monitor to provide help while maintaining social distance. Hours are posted at https://lib.nmu.edu/services/digitalmedia.
- Virtual Reality is unavailable until further notice.
COMMUNITY BORROWER PROGRAM
- The Community Borrower Program is active during the Fall 2020 semester. Visitors to campus are required to follow the university mask, social distance, and hygiene rules posted at https://nmu.edu/safe-on-campus/visitors.
- All in-person, public events in Olson Library are canceled until further notice.
CENTRAL UPPER PENINSULA & NMU ARCHIVES
- The Archives physical space is open by appointment. The public may make an appointment or submit reference queries via email (email@example.com) or phone 906-227-1225. The number of patrons is limited to allow for social distancing.
UPDATES ABOUT COVID-19 FROM THE PRESIDENT'S OFFICE
- Northern Michigan University will provide the latest news and updates on a COVID-19 Information page.