Northern currently subscribes to the following newspapers. Some are available in print as noted (kept in current periodicals). The links will take you to our online subscriptions or freely available access.
- Army Times (retains 14 issues in print)
- Chicago Tribune (online only)
- Christian Science Monitor (online only)
- Chronicle of Higher Education (online olny)
- Daily Mining Gazette (retains the latest 2 weeks in print)
- Daily News (Iron Mountain-Kingsford) (online only)
- Daily Press (Escanaba) (retains the latest 2 weeks in print)
- Detroit Free Press historical collection (1831-1999 digital) (1969-2007 available in microfilm)
- Detroit News (8/23/1873 - 9/30/1998 available in microfilm)
- Green Bay Press Gazette (online only)
- Guardian (online only)
- Iron County Reporter (online only)
- Lansing State Journal (online only)
- Los Angeles Times (online only)
- Marquette Mining Journal (retains two months in print; previous issues on microfilm in Archives)
- Marquette Monthly (retains recent 6 issues in print; 1987 - 2013 available in Archives)
- Michigan Chronicle (online only)
- Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (online only)
- Minneapolis Star-Tribune (online only)
- Le Monde (online only)
- Munising News (online only)
- New York Times is available in multiple sources at this link.
- Including: Online back to 1857 (ProQuest Historical Newspapers: New York Times with Index) and Direct access via NY Times.com via Academic Press
- North Wind (retains current semester in print; previous issues in Archives)
- USA Today (online only)
- Variety (retains one year in print; 1905 - 2000 available in microfilm, PN 2000 .V3)
- Wall Street Journal (1889 - 1959 available in microfilm, HG 1 .W3)
- Washington Post (online only)
- Win Awenen Nisitotung (retains 12 issues in print; past issues in Archives).
The NMU Archives has microfilm copies of local and regional newspapers dating back to the 1800s.
The most recent U.S. news content, as well as archives which stretch back into the 1980s from leading newspapers, newswires, blogs, and news sites. Also a large collections of local and regional newspapers.
While there's a lot of duplication on the following sites, there is not one, complete directory of online newspapers. If you don't find what you are looking for at one site, check another. Most links go to the entire directory but many provide links to the smaller set of Michigan sources.
- Listing of Upper Peninsula newspaper websites from UP Blue.
- Google Newspapers (contains both current and historical--depends upon the paper)
- Library of Congress (international as well)
- US Newspaper List
- World Newspapers
- Central Michigan University has a Digital Michigan Newspaper Portal (some will be repeated elsewhere in these links).
- Wikipedia (links to the newspapers for Michigan, but if you want to start at the top of that page, click here). This is a large, international list that includes links to additional collections.
- Chronicling America, from the Library of Congress. Search the years 1836 to 1922.
- Old Fulton New York Postcards Don't let this name put you off. Over 51 million pages digitized (many links off the Wikipedia page take you here but it's a good source to start with by itself).
- ICON: International Coalition on Newspapers. Links to free and subscription newspapers. Contains newspapers dating back to the 1600s.
- U.S. Newspaper Program. This is a national effort among the states and the federal government to locate, catalog, and preserve on microfilm newspapers published in the United States from the eighteenth century to the present. Select a particular state from the list for the links to the organization within that state.
The same rules apply for these listings: no one source has it all. A search in any search engine for newspaper and whatever college you are looking for will work, too.
Are we missing a link to something? Let us know.