In an effort to enhance facilities and services, Northern Michigan University's Lydia M. Olson Library is temporarily located in Gries Hall while a renovation is underway in its original home at Harden Hall. The renovation project, scheduled for completion in December 2025, aims to provide an upgraded and modernized library space for students, faculty, and the community.
On December 16, 2023, the library closed its doors at Harden Hall, initiating the relocation process to Gries Hall. This move involves significant shifts in work spaces, study areas, and service locations:
- Work Spaces: Library staff and faculty offices have transitioned to the ground floor of Gries Hall.
- Study Rooms: Gries Hall's first floor now houses the library's reservable study rooms, providing students with spaces for both quiet and group study sessions.
- Circulation Desk: The Circulation Desk, along with associated services, is located on Gries Hall's ground floor. Additional information about library services during this transition period are available on the Library Services Page.
Storage of Collections:
During the renovation period, NMU's circulating collections, including books, media, and maps, will be stored off-site in Quads I and II. Although patron access isn't available in this space, materials can be requested for check out and then can be picked up from the Circulation Desk.
On January 15, 2024, the Lydia M. Olson Library reopened its doors in Gries Hall's temporary ground floor and first floor locations. During this period, patrons can expect augmented services. Library Services can be found on our [Services Page] or in our [How-to Guides].
As the renovation project progresses, the library materials and staff are anticipated to relocate back to Harden Hall by December 2025, with the grand reopening scheduled for January 2026.
Find Alternative Spaces:
If you need to find additional spaces around campus, contact the group or person below:
- Faculty/Staff Conference Rooms: Contact the Northern Events Office at 906-227-2623.
- Faculty/Staff Classrooms: Contact Angela Rasmussen at the Registrar's Office [ email@example.com| 906-227-1177 ].
- Student Organizations: Contact the Center for Student Enrichment.
As Northern Michigan University looks forward to a revitalized library experience, the temporary relocation to Gries Hall ensures continuous access to essential resources and services.