Government Documents

  • About Government Documents

    This library is a congressionally designated depository for U.S. Government documents.  Public access to the Government documents collection is guaranteed by public law. (Title 44 United States Code).  NMU Has been a depository since 1963.  Currently, the library receives about 7% of the federal documents distributed by the Government Publishing Office (GPO)--most documents now are electronic, they are not on shelves.  There are two other federal depository libraries in the Upper Peninsula portion of the 1st district, Michigan Technological University in Houghton and Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste. Marie.  The Olson Library also receives documents from the State of Michigan via their depository program.

    Documents arriving to the Olson Library cover a variety of subjects and are meant to compliment not only the curriculum and research at Northern Michigan University, but the needs of the general public in the 1st Congressional District as well.  Nearly all documents (Federal and State and Local) are now available in an electronic format, accessible through a link in OneSearch or available via an internet search.  The collection, both electronic and hardcopy, is available to the general public and NMU faculty, staff, and students.  We are also one of several affiliates in the UP of the Center for Shared Solutions & Technology Partnerships (formerly the State Business Data Center/Business & Industry Data Center program).  This program is designed to expand access of census statistical materials to all citizens.

    The government documents department is open the same hours as Olson Library. 

    Locating Government Documents

    Both federal and State of Michigan documents can be identified via OneSearch.  You can limit results to Government Documents, but be aware that they are integrated into the collection and spread out.

    Faculty, staff, and students of Northern Michigan University can check out government documents for five weeks (1 semester for faculty or graduate assistants).  Most documents will circulate. Census materials, the federal budget, microfiche, and maps & atlases from the map collection do not circulate and must be used in the library.

    If you are not associated with the university, you will need to look at the materials in the library (or make photocopies), purchase a community borrower card at the Circulation Desk (227-2250), or request the materials through Interlibrary Loan via your local library.

Ask Us