News and Newpapers, a Proquest Database
NMU database. Worldwide news content, as well as archives which stretch back into the 1980s from leading newspapers, newswires, blogs, and news sites. Also a large collections of local and regional newspapers.
The NMU Archives has digitized a number of local and regional newspapers and also has microfilm copies of additional local and regional newspapers dating back to the 1800s.
Northern currently subscribes to (or has access to local digital archives to) the following newspapers. Some are available in print as noted (kept in current periodicals). The links will take you to our online subscriptions or freely available access.
- Army Times (retains 14 issues in print)
- Chicago Tribune (online only)
- Christian Science Monitor (online only)
- Chronicle of Higher Education (online olny)
- Daily Mining Gazette (retains the latest 2 weeks in print)
- Daily News (Iron Mountain-Kingsford) (retains the latest 2 weeks in print)
- Daily Press (Escanaba) (retains the latest 2 weeks in print)
- Detroit Free Press historical collection (1831-1999 digital) (1969-2007 available in microfilm)
- Detroit News (8/23/1873 - 9/30/1998 available in microfilm)
- Escanaba area newspapers (historical, not current).
- Grand Marais newspapers (historical, not current).
- Green Bay Press Gazette (online only)
- Guardian (online only)
- Iron County Reporter (retain the latest 5 issues in print)
- Ishpeming Iron Ore (historical only).
- Lansing State Journal (online only)
- Los Angeles Times (online only)
- Manistique Pioneer-Tribune (historical,1985-2003).
- Marquette Mining Journal (retains one months in print; previous issues on microfilm in Archives)
- Digitized editions from 1860 to 1940 here. New content is always being loaded, but let's stick with 1940 for now.
- Marquette Monthly (retains recent 6 issues in print; older issues available in Archives)
- Michigan Chronicle (online only)
- Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (online only)
- Minneapolis Star-Tribune (online only)
- Negaunee Iron Herald (historical, 1873-1968)
- Le Monde (online only)
- Munising News (online only)
- New York Times Sign in with your NMU credentials for access. Including: Online back to 1857 (use the menu icon on the left-hand side and under "More" choose TimesMachine. Yes, it is confusing but contact us for help.
- North Wind (retains current semester in print; previous issues in Archives). Its predecessors (prior to 1972), the Northern Normal News/Northern College News/Northern News have been digitized and are available at this link.
- Times (London). (Microfilm. 1788-1992, AN 4.T4)
- Upper Peninsula Business Today (retains 24 issues in print)
- USA Today (online only)
- Variety (retains one year in print; 1905 - 2000 available in microfilm, PN 2000 .V3)
- Wall Street Journal (1889 - 1959 available in microfilm, HG 1 .W3)
- Washington Post (online only)
- Win Awenen Nisitotung (retains 12 issues in print; past issues in Archives).
While there's a lot of duplication on the following sites, there is not one, complete directory of online newspapers. If you don't find what you are looking for at one site, check another. Most links go to the entire directory but many provide links to the smaller set of Michigan sources. Repeating from the first tab in this resource, the News and Newpapers, a Proquest Database, which provides worldwide news content, as well as archives which stretch back into the 1980s from leading newspapers, newswires, blogs, and news sites. What might be behind a subscription elsewhere could be available at this link.
Links to local and regional digitized newspaper collections can be found on the NMU Holdings tab.
Did some news story appear out of the blue in your social media account(s)? Give it a look with a critical eye.
- Listing of Upper Peninsula newspaper websites from UP Blue.
- Google Newspapers (contains both current and historical--depends upon the paper)
- Library of Congress (international as well)
- Wire Services: Associated Press, United Press International, Reuters--wikipedia has a list of news agencies from across the globe.
- US Newspaper List
- World Newspapers
- NMU has digitized local and regional newspapers, available via the UPLink resource.
- Central Michigan University has a Digital Michigan Newspaper Portal (some will be repeated elsewhere in these links).
- Wikipedia (links to the newspapers for Michigan, but if you want to start at the top of that page, click here). This is a large, international list that includes links to additional collections.
- Palmer's Index to The Times. Available full image & searchable from 1790-1896, and searchable only from 1897-1933.
- Chronicling America, from the Library of Congress. Search the years 1836 to 1922.
- Old Fulton New York Postcards Don't let this name put you off. Over 51 million pages digitized (many links off the Wikipedia page take you here but it's a good source to start with by itself).
- ICON: International Coalition on Newspapers. Links to free and subscription newspapers. Contains newspapers dating back to the 1600s.
- U.S. Newspaper Program. This is a national effort among the states and the federal government to locate, catalog, and preserve on microfilm newspapers published in the United States from the eighteenth century to the present. Select a particular state from the list for the links to the organization within that state.
The same rules apply for these listings: no one source has it all. A search in any search engine for newspaper and whatever college you are looking for will work, too.
- World Newspapers
- Wikipedia Directory
- AZ College Planning
- Best of the Web (US and world)
- Historical U.S. College and High School Student Newspapers Online (state by state listing of digitized archives)
Are we missing a link to something? Let us know.